Flag Retirement Etiquette
When the American flag is so worn or soiled that it is no longer suitable for display, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner, preferably by burning. Many Veteran and Civic Organizations will properly retire a flag at no cost. The American Legion and Veterans of Foreign War are always happy to take your worn flag for proper retirement.
What is the proper way to retire an American Flag?
The below ceremony is a guideline for flag retirement:
- The flag should be folded in its customary manner.
- It is important that the fire be fairly large and of sufficient intensity to ensure complete burning of the flag.
- Place the flag on the fire.
- The individual(s) can come to attention, salute the flag, recite the Pledge of Allegiance and have a brief period of silent reflection.
- After the flag is completely consumed, the fire should then be safely extinguished and the ashes buried.
Please make sure you are conforming to local/state fire codes or ordinances.
Read more: how to dispose of an American flag.
Is your flag ready for retirement and you need a new flag? Please look no further.
Shop our Nylon American Flags starting at $30
Proud Certified Retail Member of the FMAA