Flag Retirement Etiquette
When the American flag is so worn or soiled that it is no longer suitable for display, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner, preferably by burning. Many Veteran and Civic Organizations will properly retire a flag at no cost. The American Legion and Veterans of Foreign War are always happy to take your worn flag for proper retirement.
The below ceremony is a guideline for flag retirement:
- The flag should be folded in its customary manner.
- It is important that the fire be fairly large and of sufficient intensity to ensure complete burning of the flag.
- Place the flag on the fire.
- The individual(s) can come to attention, salute the flag, recite the Pledge of Allegiance and have a brief period of silent reflection.
- After the flag is completely consumed, the fire should then be safely extinguished and the ashes buried.
Please make sure you are conforming to local/state fire codes or ordinances.
Is your flag ready for retirement and you need a new flag? Please look no further.
Shop our Nylon American Flags starting at $18
Proud Certified Retail Member of the FMAA